This past summer, I interned at UNOapp, a tech startup dedicated to streamlining and enhancing a company's customer relationships. One of their services includes offering a mobile ordering platform for Quick Service Restaurants. During my internship, I was tasked with re-designing the interface of the mobile app that was used by UNOapp's clients (i.e. the restaurants). This was a complicated process to dissect and simplify, due to the number of unique orders that restaurants receive daily.
There were a number of problems with the previous app. It was overly complicated and confusing to navigate.
Restaurants commonly have several ordering options for consumers, including (but not limited to) delivery, takeout, catering, and so on. It's important for a restaurant employee to be able to see which types of orders they're receiving, so that they can ensure that the food is prepared accordingly. The app needed a way to show the employees what type of orders the customers were inputting, and interfaces that were optimized to accommodate for order types.
I started this project after speaking with clients and hearing their requests and requirements, but my primary goals were centered around the users.
This app's largest users are restaurant owners and employees of all ages. It was important to make sure the the app was usable to people who:
Don't have extensive knowledge or experience with mobile apps
Don't have the time to learn a complicated new system
Operate the app on any sized tablet
Figuring out how to design such a complicated app in a simple way was definitely a challenge. I had to balance the necessity of having sufficient information on the display, keeping in mind that I was designing for tablets that could be as small as 7 inches. I decided that the best way to overcome the challenges of the previous app were:
Visual menus that included both text and icons
A bottom bar dedicated to simplified order times
Categories to organize each type of order
Customers' contact information and location displayed clearly
The New Experience
Due to the quick paced nature of the startup environment I was working in, I found myself diving straight into high fidelity screens almost immediately after defining goals and in order to push the product out as soon as possible. If I were to do this project again, I would have tried to spend more time in research stages and fleshing out lower fidelity user flows and interactions before creating the high fidelity prototype. I also would have created a design system and guidelines for the app to make adding features and screens a lot easier.
I was working mainly with clients and my coworkers when designing this solution. My next steps in this project would be to test with the primary users of the app (ie. restaurant employees,) and iterate based on their interactions and impressions.